Re: [Off Topic] Spam

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 02/20/97

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Corey Hoitsma wrote:

> Okay guys I'm seeing LOTS of spam in my mailbox, just because
> we are bickering over pointless issues, or at least issues not
> to be discussed over a mailing list that has to do with maintaing
> and running a circle mud. If you see someone on the list that
> seems knowledgable about your question, try sending it right to them.

No. That [a] defeats the entire purpose of the mailing list (if
no-one is talking to each other, then the mailing list dies), [b]
annoys some of us that answer frequently (because then we get
picked out and get a lot of personal mail).

> We could also send the person (whomever) the mail directly when
> we are talking about something not related to the running of a circle Mud.

Highly annoying when you are talking about list policy, IMO. The
people on the list should be able to offer their views about what
direction the list should be taking to eliminate some of the
un-necessary spam. In this case, the list policy spam is a
necessary evil and works towards the point of eliminating the real
bad stuff.

> Maybe we should start a Debate List, so that we can all debate in an
> area where it would be accepted, rather than just spam.

...and what makes you think that, that list won't degenerate into
either a spam-fest or just crash and burn?

--
Daniel Koepke
dkoepke@california.com