Re: [Off Topic] Spam

From: Corey Hoitsma (choitsma@netcom.com)
Date: 02/20/97

> No. That [a] defeats the entire purpose of the mailing list (if
> no-one is talking to each other, then the mailing list dies), [b]
> annoys some of us that answer frequently (because then we get
> picked out and get a lot of personal mail).

	Right, Okay, discussion about, say, should we as Imps
	do this, or that, or can we change this code into this
	to make it more effiecent, etc is fine. But when
	ppl just keep asking the same questions, it's a pain.
	I don't mind simple questions like: How do I add
	more levels? It's jsut that EVERYONE answers back to the
	list says, 'Read the FAQ' or whatever, rather than sending
	it in to the person that asked.

	I myself don't mind being singled out for help ( I do it a lot
	actually) and if I don't know it, I just recommend a
	method to find out (or even if I do). Stuff like
	how to add more levels is trivial, and shouldn't be answered that
	way unless they have problems:)

	Get my drift? :)

> > Maybe we should start a Debate List, so that we can all debate in an
> > area where it would be accepted, rather than just spam.
>
> ...and what makes you think that, that list won't degenerate into
> either a spam-fest or just crash and burn?

	It probably will. But I'm seeing more and more debate around
	here, like IDeas on Death, where they debate about how
	death should work. Or how skills should work, etc. That
	could be a whole new list, while the maintaining stays
	here, but the new-ideas, and other stuff can
	goto another list... see what I mean? :)

Sorry this is so long!

--

Corey Hoitsma                   AKA -= Myrddin =-
____         choitsma@netcom.com