Re: [bug]With class selection

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 07/26/97

> Well.... now I'm getting the same thing. For some strange reason, NO
> pfiles are being opened. The pfiles conversion worked for me for a long
> time until a few days ago when it just, stopped working. Any ideas as to
> why? (checked the first el snipo)

        I had a problem like this for a while as well. It wasn't quite as
severe - It would crash once for each new user, and then would work.  What
I ended up doing as a work-around, was to touch the file before it existed
(if you're in the new-user routine, and the name isn't taken, you can
assume that you can create an empty file of the correct permissions)  and
then follow through.  Secondly, sometimes if you have many users, or
something like a player scanner, you must be vitally certain that in
"load_char" you end by closing the pfile, else you'll run out of file
handles, and the mud may crash, may do wierd things..

                                                PjD