Clans and their Purpose

From: Chris Dodd (CDodd@SND.SOFTFARM.COM)
Date: 09/18/97

Good day, everyone.

I was wondering what purposes clans served on all of your muds.  Do you give
members some sort of tangible benefit, like a Clan mana pool(beats me, just
something I tossed out as an example), or is it more abstract?

What I mean is are you using clans for more name recognition and giving
players a sense of belonging and perhaps purpose?

Just looking for some input here, as I am working on a clan structure of
sorts.

Thanks,
        Chris