Re: Jesus walked on water...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 10/16/97

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, George wrote:

-+And as for anvils...how many containers could you fit it in?  Therefore it
-+wouldn't fit in your boat. :)

I wouldn't carry an anvil onto a canoe, myself.  Just the same as I
wouldn't try to cast that fly spell wearing 400 lbs of armor.  Sure,
these spells for floating/flying are useful, as is having your own
personal boat, but there have to be limitations somewhere that balance
it out.

Which brings me back to swimming: it's not completely obsoleted by
floating.  First, I use a fatigue based magic system of sorts.  I don't
use spell points that spells use for casting them.  Many continuous
spells (e.g., ones that don't die out quickly) continue to fatigue the
caster for the duration of the spell.  Now, just flying across a river
that's a few feet across is no big deal.  It actually fatigues the
player less than had they swam across the rough current.  But swimming
comes into play if they're in a lake, or going down river, or already
in choppy water (you have to be out of water before you can cast the
fly spell, because you can't make a sturdy platform of air underneath
water).  Since flying across a lake is not a good idea (it's too
distant, and the lake's waters are generally still enough to allow
for easy swimming; so you fatigue more for the flying than for the
swimming), people will either take a boat or swim...and if they sink
their boat or get abondoned on some island, swimming isn't a bad
thing to know...:)

--
Daniel Anton Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:- [Nether]
"Human language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes