Re: 12 year old and in distress

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 11/12/97

>hi, yes i know i'm young but thats why im here,
>i've allways been told not to be scared of asking so here goes..
>my father has Borland c++ builder installed on his p.c and i was wondering
>if that would be good enough to compile circle mud???? and if so what
>changes would have to be made? i would be gratefull for any help, as with
>all things i like to jump in at the deep end and tinker around with things..
>thanks very much.

Things that leap immediately to mind:
#1. I have a copy of Borland Tubro C++ for Windows (v4.5),
and the copy I have doesn't support long file names.
I have no idea if there is a version that does, but
you certainly have to be careful of that.  If it doesn't,
you have to change all the file names accordingly (the
#include statments in the .c files, and all the references
to the files in the makefile).
#2. There are some variables names in circle that C++ has
as keywords (for example, class and new) which need to be
changed.
There are other C++ changes that need to be made, but
I don't remember them all off the top of my head (and some
of them are compiler specific in any event - I did it and
had to make some changes other people appearently did not).
#3. Get linux :)