Re: [HELP] [ODDITY] A strange pid running along with circle & autorun..

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 11/11/97

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Will Andrews wrote:

>My MUD's group has found that an additional couple of processes run along
>with circle and autorun... it's called "sleep 60".. and

  if [ ! -r .fastboot ]; then
    sleep 60
  else
    rm .fastboot
    sleep 5
  fi

All it does is pause for 60 seconds, if they are sticking around you have a
problem with your shell or init.

>one time, there were like 1,500 of these running, and they took up 85M of
>memory (reportedly, this is a quote from the sysadmin, who restarted the
>machine to get rid of them).  The OS is FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE, and we are
>running Circle 3.0bpl11+OasisOLC 1.5

Highly unlikely...but possible.  Check to see what state they are in next
time (zombie, disk wait, sleeping, etc) and how many autorun scripts are
also running... (If you use cron to start autorun that could do it.)