Re: [CODE] [NEWBIE(I think)]

From: Jonathan Barrett (mixtli@SINFO.NET)
Date: 11/21/97

> I have seen a lot of new stuff in C, but one thing is just really
escaping
> me.  I cannot seem to figure out all the *->ch or *->* or whatever.  What
in
> gods name does this "->" mean?  I have looked in my on-line C tutorials
and
> I can't seem to find it.
>
> chuck

That is the same thing as the dot operator.  To access a variable in a
structure you must use the dot operator:   mystruct.variable

If the structure variable is defined as a pointer you must use '->'.
assume mystruct is now a pointer:    mystruct->variable

Maybe trying an online C++ course would help...There is one at
www.waite.com\ezone which is really good.  It has lessons, quizes, chat and
mailing lists.  You must buy the book to take the course though.  I think
you would find the answers to almost any question about c there.  I mean
things like the '->' operator are the backbone of c and if you don't know
what they are, then you need to study up.  I mean is is a lot more
gratifying if you know what something is and you dont have to ask someone.
      I don't mean to be flaming anyone, but just trying to help find a way
to get to know c or c++ a little bit better...