Re: ASCII data files

From: ;P (siv@CYBERENET.NET)
Date: 12/10/97

>         Disk space as one person pointed out should rarely be a consideration.
> If a person cannot afford the disk space to run a mud, he is in real trouble
> anyway! Disks are not that expensive, and muds really aren't that disk hungry.
> The mud I am coding using all ASCII files, a 200x200 wilderness, with all the
> source and .o files uses up 56meg of disk space.  I am sorry if you think
> thats alot, because it just isn't.

this isn't taking into account that some people (like me) are running muds
from ISPs that have disk quotas..i only have 20 megs to work with, so
disk space is the biggest con, and i won't be using ascii pfiles until i
move the mud to a local machine (which may never happen depending upon
the cost of a dedicated line to the internet)..converter scripts are easy
to write, and its even easier to code in a lot of spare ints and strings
into the saved structs..imho, ascii pfiles shouldn't be stock..especially
since there is a patch that will give it to you..

siv