[ADMIN] General opinion of CircleMUD

From: Mike (claywar@RJSONLINE.NET)
Date: 12/14/97

      The strangest thing has been happening lately.  I've been trying to
recruit builders and start a small playerbase, and many times when I tell
someone I use Circle, they refuse to come on, or even look at it.  I'm
really not sure what to attribute this to, if it is because so many people
run stock, change one line and call it heavily modified, or what.  But
these players go and play on a Merc based mud that is close to stock.  It
is all kind of funny.
      Everyone wants change, at least that's what they say.  Lets go to a
"different" mud, something that offers new features, new code.  Ok, they
go there, then you see:

Someplayer gossips, 'This mud sucks, I can't figure out how to do
anything!'

or the more infamous:

Someplayer gossips, 'There's a bug here, you don't have X'

      Then they leave, self-delete and go back to their merry, uneventful
life of complaining on some stock mud about wanting something new.  Its
quite frustrating.  So, the five dollar question of the day is how to keep
players on your mud in general?  There's hundreds upon hundreds of stock
smaug muds, yet they have plenty of players.  First people are biased
because of the code, then they won't learn the new features.  If mortals
didn't make the game I would say kill them and be on with life.
      Don't get me wrong, I love the Circle code base, and have been using
it for the past three years now.  The problem is why won't new mortals
use it?

Anyone else encountering problems such as this?  If so, how are you
handling it?

Faras@Morgaelin         :: mud.dwango.com 3000
claywar@rjsonline.net   :: 207.193.128.202 3000