Re: [ADMIN] General opinion of CircleMUD

From: Whitey (zacker@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: 12/15/97

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Mike wrote:

>       The strangest thing has been happening lately.  I've been trying to
> recruit builders and start a small playerbase, and many times when I tell
> someone I use Circle, they refuse to come on, or even look at it.  I'm
> really not sure what to attribute this to, if it is because so many people
> run stock, change one line and call it heavily modified, or what.  But
> these players go and play on a Merc based mud that is close to stock.  It
> is all kind of funny.

Dear Faras,
  I've played your mud.  And I didn't like it at all.  The biggest reason
is that leveling is impossible and there is no newbie help.  Now, I don't
expect to make level 30 in an hour, but I felt that there should be
a little help for newbies.  I told you this and the only answer I got was,
"This mud is a challenge!"  Well, I also warned you that no one would want
to play a mud where it was very very difficult to get to level 2.

  My theory on muds is that it should be relatively easy to get your first
5 levels.  Why?  Because you have to get these players hooked on your mud.
If they get frustrated right away, they won't bother.  If they see that
leveling is possible, then they will put the time and effeort into
leveling their character.  THEN you can make it challenging.

  Sp, if you want your mud to be a "challenge", you can expect a small
player base.  If you make it too easy, then people will make their max
level and leave.  You need to find that perfect balance of rewards that
will keep players on.

Whitey