Re: [CODE][RELEASE] dg-script add-in package

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: 01/01/98

At 04:46 PM 1/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I really don't want to sound like a flamer, or angry or anything, but
>after trying, very unsuccessfully, to install the DG scripts that Mark
>released, I am recommending that until he can get this system up and
>running on a STOCK CircleMUD, that no one even attempt to use it.  There
>are numerous things missing, obviously unique to DG's original code, as
>well as some things that are completely foreign.

No offense is taken by me on this... I would like to hear how others have
progressed of course, possitive or negative.

>Let me explain.
>
>I can handle a missing prototype, a missing define, forgetting a struct,
>or a function, but having an event system when none is added with the
>code.  The pause event code is part of DG's event code, and is in no way
>compatible with stock circle.  Only if you want to spend the time making
>it compatible to any event system you have, or removing it, will you have
>any luck.

Because I was interested in making this work - and only made it available
to the public after Chris announced his efforts were being delayed, I didn't
set out to make this a patch against stock code, nor do I intend to.

On the wait event code, I'd highly reccommend getting it implemented. If
anyone
is interested in my event.c/event.h system, I'm happy to give them out, again,
not as a patch against stock. (Fortunately, integrating the event system is
significantly easier than the script system :)

The bottom line on the event system is, for scripts, it only needs to be
code that can call
trig_event_wait(wait_time_event) (wait_time_event is the parameter sent
into the
add_event() call) after a specified number of pulses have elapsed. (Well,
it's a little
more complicated then that -- you'll want a single function to be called
periodically from
hearbeat(), and have that function walk through a linked list of "event
structures" -- each
event structure contains a pointer to wait_time_event and the amount of
time remaining
until trig_event_wait gets called... decrements the time remaining and, if
0 (or below) calls
the trig_event_wait routine).

In retrospect, I probably should have written this for what I released, as
it certainly would
have been more programmer-friendly on my part than saying "write an event
system".

>In short, until this code can be patched in by hand without having to
>re-design the code itself, I don't recommend it.

Anyone else play with it yet?