Re: SPCC & Guild of Implementors

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 01/18/98

>   Okay, so you say that any muds that aren't what you deem to be "original"
>will be added to a list of "bad" muds.  You also say that this disgraces the
>circlemud name because they claim to be original and simply are stock.

I would say that would be true.  Any MUD that claims to be something it
is not is deserving of it.

>Well,
>what about the muds that DON'T claim to be original?  They'll be added to the
>"bad" list, even though they don't fit the criteria of a "bad" mud?

I would say no.  If the MUD WANTS to be stock, let them.  Don't put them
on the bad list, put them on a separate list of MUD's that WANT to be
stock.  Two categories of MUD's just doesn't cover it.

>Lots of
>players enjoy, and some even prefer, playing stock areas.  So just because
>there are areas on your mud that are not solely for your mud, that means that
>you are disgracing the circlemud name?

Well, a MUD that wants to be stock, and doesn't claim to be anything but
stock, isn't disgracing CircleMUD....it's disgracing the coder.  If you
want to stand up and claim yourself as original when you obviously
aren't, they are a disgrace.

>My mud has a lot of areas that are
>what you consider stock, but not what I consider stock.  Many of the areas
>are from other code bases, converted over by me, and adjusted by me.  Other
>areas are on maybe one or two other muds, so these are defined by you as
>commonplace?  I just don't feel that you have a very good argument on what
>I explained above.  You can of course do whatever you want, we can't stop
>you, but I, for one, will be the first to say that if this web page does
>end up happening, I will shun it.

It doesn't have to be a 'blacklist/goodlist' page.  Perhaps, instead of
trying to shun stock MUD's, it would be better if it was 'Society for the
Promotion of Original CircleMUD's'  (SPOoC?)  Then, instead of a
'blacklist' we just have a 'stocklist'  Those MUD's that are stockish are
listed there, simply for those people who are looking for original MUD's.
 Then, if you want, you can have a Society for the Promotion of Stock
CircleMUD's (SPoSC?)

I agree that shunning any MUD for something like a lack of originality is
not right, but making people aware that the MUD ISN'T original (even if
it claims it is) is a good thing.  As I've seen others say before, if I
log on and can walk around blindfolded, I quit, delete and never return.