Re: SPCC & Guild of Implementors

From: Thibor Ferenczy (roland@INTERPATH.COM)
Date: 01/19/98

> blah blah blah elitist, blah blah
> blah blah blah "bad muds", guild blah blah
> blah blah blah, my MUD is better than yours, blah blah

Ok.  I was the damned fool who originally proposed this whole
guild idea, and what a monster it has turned into.  (Btw, to
those of you who originally replied with interest, I didn't
forget about you... college and keg parties sorta cut in line.)
The original reasoning behind the "Thing" was to provide a forum
of sorts for things not generally covered on this list, such as
general administrating and world creation.  And the bad rep thing
too of course.  And if you recall,
one of the requirements was that you had your own mud, which
brought about a lil bit of debate.  I think the other two were
some basic C skills, and originality... the latter seems like
the source of a great deal of debate.  What *I* meant by
originality, was simply this:  are you doing something besides
"./configure" and "patch < miscshit".  Of course it was branded
elitist then, but awwe well you can't win em all eh?

Now, and this is only my opinion, that little snowflake of
elitism has snowballed into a kind of abominal snowman.  Don't
make a list of "bad MUDs" on the web.  Remember when you were
first learning to code, or build?  Remember how it felt to be
around people who were experienced, and maybe you felt a little
bit inferior?  Parade around Midgaard in your royal cloaks and
gold/velvet crowns, but don't let people confuse "implementor"
with "asshole".  And by the way, to avoid any replies from my
end of the string...if you're going to argue with me about
whether or not this thing is now elitist, go get your webster's.
Look it up.  Think.  And good luck on the project;  I hope it
actually does help restore CircleMUD's good name.

- Thibor