A-Desc

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 01/29/98

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Edward Glamkowski wrote:

> One neat thing that I haven't seen taken advantage of very often
> is the action description available with objects.  Might want to
> read up carefully on that, as you can do a lot of neat stuff.
> (dust of disappearance, for example, which is really a potion of
> invisibility, but when used, you get the message: "You sprinkle dust
> of disappearance over yourself and you disappear!" or some such,
> instead of "You quaff the dust of disappearance and disappear!", which
> doesn't make sense...)

The problem with the way it is now is that there is only one A-desc. From
the way that I've been doing things you need three. One for TO_CHAR, one
for TO_VICT and one for TO_NOTVICT. Of course, the TO_VICT would be
skipped if ch == vict. That way you can have proper A-descs for wands,
scrolls and other items that can be targeted on others.

I've been thinking about doing this, but am kind of concerned about
memory usage. After all... I'd be adding two more strings onto each obj.,
and not all objs would even use those.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

--Arthur C. Clarke