Re: [OFF TOPIC] Linux..

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 03/13/98

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Mendou wrote:

> I was running my MUD on my Slackware Linux system and all of a sudden
> a bunch of stuff filled my screen. (sorry, I don't have it).  Anyway
> I did a ps -x with my root user and I saw that a bunch of my processes
> had <zombie> after them (almost all the daemons), and I had to reboot
> to get anything to work.  Any clues?

I think your bunch of zombie processes are directly responsible for
causing the sudden bunch of stuff to fill your screen.  I think I remember
seeing something like this on a linux web page.  You may want to do a net
search on "bunches of stuff problems under slackware".

Then again, you've already figured out the workaround, so there's no need
to fix it.

ObCoherant:

I'm considering plans for the full ascii conversion patch, and was
wondering if I should throw all player-related data in a single file for
each player.  That would mean the normal player data would be joined with
the rent file, mail, aliases, and anything else I come across.

Does anyone have a preference either way?  One file or many?  The
single-file approach is more difficult (ie: loading the entire file just
to check the password, then resaving the whole thing just to update the
bad login count if they fail 3 times), so I won't bother if nobody cares.

Sam