Re: [NEWBIE] Gossip Socials and Aedit [long]

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 05/02/98

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Brian wrote:

> I took a look at the "Gossip Socials" snippet on the snippet site and tried
> to integrate it into my MUD.  The hand-patching directions were perfect, so
> I don't think I made any errors entering the code.  However, everytime I
> use the syntax "gossip @smile" or any other social, it always tells me
> "that is not a social".
>
> I know, RTFC...  I did, but I'm not good enough yet to understand
> completely what's going on.  So then, I started thinking about what might
> be changed as far as non-stock bpl12 code I have.  I thought about Aedit,
> and how it transformed socials from being in interpreter.c, into some other
> method.

Ah.  That would be the problem.  That snippet checks the stock command
table for the social you're looking for.  I'm not sure exactly how the
aedit system works, but I do know that the socials are parsed _after_
failing a lookup on the command list.

> Then I got to wondering if somehow the gossip socials code will not work
> with the way Aedit has changed socials.  This, I'm afraid, is above my
> ability to decipher, how to check and see if they can work together.

I can think of two ways the aedit system would look up socials.  It should
either have a lookup right after the call to command_interpreter (in
interpreter.c), or the lookup would be inside the command_interpreter
function after the normal command lookup.  My guess is the latter,
probably at the very end of the function.

Once you find that, just replace the command lookup lines (right after the
half_chop) in do_gmote in act.social.c with the same search aedit uses.
If aedit didn't change the basic structure of socials, I'd think changing
just those several lines will get it working.

On a related note, I've been porting a custom social system to circle and
the mud it was intended for apparently just lost its site.  If there's
interest in it, I'd be happy to make it public.  It works a little
differently than you're used to, but does have online editing (commandline
based) and a few other features.  It's not file format compatible with
circle socials, but can coexist with existing socials.

One of the more interesting features is the use of adverbs.  For example:

Social:
$n smiles $Ahappily$ at $N.

> smile jabber

Samedi smiles happily at Jabber.

> smile jabber -innocently

Samedi smiles innocently at Jabber.

The other big feature is the fact that the social processing returns the
messages rather than automatically displaying them to poeple in the room.
This allows foreasier social gossiping, and makes adding socials to other
channels very easy.

If there's interest, I'll try to finish it up and make it presentable.

Sam