Re: [CODE] Warmboot Patch

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: 07/13/98

At 07:02 PM 7/13/98 +0200, you wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Mark A. Heilpern wrote:
>
>> It's called copyover and is on ftp.circlemud.org
>
>I can't help but wonder why people choose to call it those non-standard
>names - when I originally released it in 1996, I called it "Copyover - hot
>reboot".
>
>Now it seems people call it "warm reboot" or "online reboot".
>
>That makes searching for its source quite a lot difficult :)

Well, the action being performed is basically a warm reboot, so warmboot
is a more natural name. In fact, when I installed it, I named the command
"warmboot" too.... (for some reason, "shutdown warmboot" never occurred
to me till now :)

Something I did since installing the copyover patch was to a) learn to use
shared memory pools on linux, and b) replace the default malloc with one
that allocates from a shared memory pool. Shared memory is persistant
after a program stops running; doing this, I can reboot without re-reading
the world files, since EVERYTHING describing the state of the mud is in
memory still. This is quite useful for turning on code changes without anyone
even noticing the mud has been rebooted.