Re: [sys admin][linux]

From: Invincibill (wlong@E-SERVER.NET)
Date: 10/03/98

i hate to sound like like a dolt. but i'm not sure how to tell what file
descriptor the console is. or how to set stdout to the console.  anybody
got any ideas on that? or is there anyway to tell where stdout is
actually directed to?

i have been using the fprintf(stderr, "blah blah") which works okay, but
now its a matter of just knowing what the heck is going on.

or better yet? what would i look for in any of my C/C++ books or Unix
books for more more info? i dont even have any idea where to start.

thanks,

bill

Joshua French wrote:

> What file descriptor is console?  If it's not using stdout, then printf()
> won't work.  Or it's possible that your are sending it all to the
> background and the printf()'s are getting dumped w/o you seeing them.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
>
> email:  jfrench@umr.edu       ICQ#:   13579151
>         Joshua French          web:   www.umr.edu/~jfrench