Re: [NEWBIE] [ZEDIT] Door and New Zone errors

From: Invincibill (bill@longboys.net)
Date: 01/22/99

you are sending in a null string to the str_dup.
since you didnt post any code, i might recommend stepping through your
zedit.c:zedit_setup() and see where it calls str_dup, then step back
through the code from there(you might use some debugging statements, or
gdb if you know how to use it)
look for any place where new strings get assigned. then look for where
it might be null.
John Hines wrote:

> this is what i have from the debugger. hope it helps with both of our problems
>
> zedit new 200
> redit 20000
> change room title to beginning
> save
> zedit 20000
> add builder name
> quit zedit
> crash

> 0x808c8f8 in str_dup (source=0x0) at utils.c:84
> 84        CREATE(new_z, char, strlen(source) + 1);
> (gdb) info stack
> #0  0x808c8f8 in str_dup (source=0x0) at utils.c:84
> #1  0x8092207 in zedit_setup (d=0x82f4550, room_num=2621) at zedit.c:91
> #2  0x8082a6f in do_olc (ch=0x82f7cb0, argument=0xbffffa91 " 20000", cmd=347,
> subcmd=2)
>     at olc.c:345
> #3  0x807936a in command_interpreter (ch=0x82f7cb0, argument=0xbffffa8c "zedit
> 20000")
>     at interpreter.c:645
> #4  0x804a2d4 in game_loop (mother_desc=5) at comm.c:739
> #5  0x8049947 in init_game (port=9191) at comm.c:345
> #6  0x80498c5 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffde8) at comm.c:309
> (gdb) continue

barring all that, we would need to see your actual code to determine
anything more.

--
Weather forecast for today: Sunny & Mild
Weather forecast for tomorrow : Sunny & Mild