Re: [NEWBIE][CODE][HELP]Basic Outline

From: Will Andrews (andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM)
Date: 01/30/99

At 02:58 PM 1/30/99 -0700, you wrote:
>        I was just wondering if someone could give me a basic outline of
>how to go about adding some things to my MUD. I want to add in either as
>part of the Weapon item type or just make a whole bunch more item types
>differnt kinds of weapons. Like sword dagger spear whip. All that. And
>then add in skills for each one so that in order to use a certain kind
>of weapon you have to be skilled in it. Kind of like they do in ROM
>muds... I just can't figure out how to go about doing this. I'm a
>relatively new coder and not sure where to find everything in the circle
>code. If someone could help me out I'd be grateful.

Well.. I've never had a peek at ROM code nor have I played on any ROM MUDs
(i'm loyal to Circle since my first MUD experience in 1997).. but I can
suggest something.

Get OasisOLC. That's Oasis OnLine Creation -- if you haven't modified
anything much in your copy of CircleMUD.. simply get the patch for the
latest version of OasisOLC (v1.6b?) at
http://www.van.ml.org/CircleMUD/OasisOLC/ (may be changed to
www.van.m-l.org by now).

You could ask George <greerga@CircleMUD.ORG> for more help, he's the guy
who maintains OasisOLC's source code to this day. If you have questions
that relate more to CircleMUD, read the FAQ and the docs first then give us
a call.

Toodles.

--Acme, Maintenance Implementor & Demi-Coder [NIC: WA915]
The Black Dawn -- http://www.blackdawn.com/ -- telnet://blackdawn.com:4000