Re: Java Circle

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 04/08/99

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Stefan Wasilewski wrote:

> This makes the idea of rewriting in Java all the more interesting.

No it doesn't.  Java is a big, steaming pile of x.  Substitute for x with
something unsavory.  Take C, add two parts hype, one part substance and
you have C++.  Take away most of that substance and throw in a helping of
"paradigm-shifts" on the marketing/hype side of the equation and you have
Java.  I think I'd sooner port CircleMUD to BASIC.  Or shell scripts.  Or
Logo.  Or Pilot.

Java is the Communism of programming languages.  A catchy motto, a nifty
idea, and terrible execution.  Whereas Communism made every man paid
equally, Java makes ever program run equally.  Equally.  But like sh!t.

ObCircle:

This may not seem like it ties in with CircleMUD, but given the choice in
a scripting language, one for CircleMUD, let's say, whether blocks will be
determined by delimiters like in C ({}) and Pascal (begin/end), or by
spacing (any example languages?) what would be your preference?  I'm
currently leaning towards indentation defining blocks, as I think it looks
neat, is pretty straight-forward, eliminates a lot of the, "Oops, I forgot
to put a closing brace on line 42 and that explains why I got four
thousand errors," problems people so often have, and makes the resulting
code much cleaner and more uniform.  Thus, we're comparing,

  integer foobar ()
  {
    iterator i

    for (i in character_list)
      if (!isnpc(i) && i.got_message < 10) {
        send(i, "hello.\r\n")
        i.got_message++;
      }
  }

  bool foo()

  integer foobar ()
    iterator i

    for (i in character_list)
      if (!isnpc(i) && i.got_message < 10)
        send(i, "hello.\r\n")
        i.got_message++

  bool foo ()

Note that these examples don't represent the actual functionality of the
language.  They are to be considered pseudo code.

-dak : And real men use Slackware.