Re: [CODE] memory usage

From: Jeremy Music \ (rezo@lords.com)
Date: 09/08/99

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Peter Ajamian wrote:

> Chris Gilbert wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've pondered compressing the text as
> > it loads in, and then uncompressing it as it's needed, but I don't think
> > it'll give a great saving in real usage.
>
> Actually I believe you will get a great savings by doing this, probably on a
> compression ratio of 4:1
>
> Sorry I don't have any code to share with you, but this should be enough to
> get you off to a decent start.

Check 'man zlib' if your system has it.  It uses standard gzip style
compression so an added benefit is that you can write out directly without
any decompression and have the ability to un-gzip by hand if you need to get
at the files.  I am going to start looking at how to do this myself as my
memory usage is now pushing 32 megs.  (so, if you get it figured out first,
let me know exactly how it works  :)

Sterling @ Wyld Knight