Re: ASCII pfiles and speed

From: Mark A. Heilpern (mark@heilpern.com)
Date: 02/04/00

At 10:35 AM 2/4/00 -0700, you wrote:
>On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Ben Cartwright wrote:
>I've never seen any performance hit at all with saving, loading or any
>other form of player-file interaction with one exception: plist. The plist
>command horribly lags the mud as it parses through the player files, but
>we use plist so rarely, that I don't consider it a big problem.

I'm not familiar with plist, but the name makes it seem obvious enough.
My ascii pfile implementation actually does use a binary file still as
well. This file I use is filled with structures (in no important order),
each with
a player name, password, id, and a few other items I want to access without
opening the ascii pfile. When my mud authenticates you, it searches for
your entry in this structure list (read once at boot up, flushed periodically,
just like the old pfile) and, failing to find you, searches for the pfile.
If the
pfile is found, the structure is created.

My point? Probably similar to "plist", I have "show plrindex" to show me
information from that index, and I don't need to thrash the disk to get certain
information.

Admittedly you probably aren't interested in taking the effort to retrofit
something like this now; the benefit probably doesn't outweigh the work.
Just something to consider for the future.