Re: ASCII pfiles and speed

From: Ben Cartwright (europa@vt.edu)
Date: 02/04/00

From: Mark A. Heilpern <mark@heilpern.com>
To: <CIRCLE@POST.QUEENSU.CA>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2000 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [CIRCLE] ASCII pfiles and speed

> My ascii pfile implementation actually does use a binary file still as
> well. This file I use is filled with structures (in no important order),
> each with
> a player name, password, id, and a few other items I want to access
without
> opening the ascii pfile. When my mud authenticates you, it searches for
> your entry in this structure list (read once at boot up, flushed
periodically,
> just like the old pfile) and, failing to find you, searches for the pfile.
> If the
> pfile is found, the structure is created.
>
> My point? Probably similar to "plist", I have "show plrindex" to show me
> information from that index, and I don't need to thrash the disk to get
certain
> information.
>
> Admittedly you probably aren't interested in taking the effort to retrofit
> something like this now; the benefit probably doesn't outweigh the work.
> Just something to consider for the future.

Thank you, that was a solution I considered only briefly, since it seemed
like an overkill at first, but whatever works, right?  That will take a lot
of the pressure off of load_char.

As far as save_char goes, apparently I'm the only one having speed problems
with it.  I'm sure it's because the box the mud's running of off, and the
other programs that are run on it.  Using FreeBSDI if you're curious, and
the box's owner has one of those "use your CPU's spare time to decrypt this
thingie, and win money if you get it" running in the background.

Anyway, thanks again for the idea of having a binary file for
frequently-accessed player variables; implementing that and a save_char
queque will be my weekend project. :)

--Ben Cartwright