Arrays and Linked Lists

From: Zachary Tellman (rinzai@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/26/00

I searched the archives for previous posts regarding storing the world
within an array and found some references, but no real practical advice on
how to create one.  The reason a linked list was used was because linked
lists have no boundaries or limits, while one must define the limits,
creating waste or too many rooms.  However, it appears that an array will
make things infinitely simpler for my mud.  So, my question is this: What's
a practical manner in which I can discover the required limits for an array
with minimal time and memory?  Actual code isn't required, rather just an
explanation of the mechanics.