Re: License

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/04/00

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Blaize Imperator wrote:

>>Yeah, it's kind of harsh, but I'm sure Jeremy wants it as black-and-white
>as possible.  It's all too easy for some muds to fall into pay-per-play; and
>circle is intended to be 100% free.
>>
>>--Ben C
>
>Hrm...what if several people were co-running the MUD, but only one wanted to
>be an immortal, and the others would rather play mortals?  Or what I plan on
>doing, having one of my rich imms pay for the server while I run it? No
>money comes through my hands.

How about this: If you feel even slightly guilty with your slippery trick
to circumvent the license, don't do it.  If on the other hand you
/honestly/ feel there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, then go right
ahead.

We're not going to hunt down people running a MUD who are given a quarter
because they can't use a pay phone and someone person recognizes them.  We
will get slightly peeved if you sell your MUD for $1,000 to someone.
(Actually, I wouldn't care if the license said you could, it's the
principle of the matter.)

What part of "you must not use CircleMUD to make money or be compensated in
any way" do you not understand? Pretend *you* do not exist, only your
Implementor/MUD character.  Any cash or check your players can send in the
MUD to your Implementor is fine. :)

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org

[You can fax me donations (cash only please) via 1-513-742-4242.]