Re: a strange one for you...

From: Andrew (eng30072@leonis.nus.sg)
Date: 12/10/95

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, Steve wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, James Reader wrote:
>
> > I have similar problems with my P-75 chip, I have come to the conclusion
> > that Intel's pentium chips are NOT 100% compatible with most of todays
> > software.  I experience bizzarre problems in dos, and I can't compile at
> > all in Linux for some unknown intermittant bug (not the fpu bug) in the
> > pentium, all pentium, chips
> the only pentium problem i have ever run into with linux only would
> happen on p100 or fasters, where almost everything you did would
> segfault. ps, ls, w, even compiling the kernel did it. We tried compiling
> it on working pentiums and copying it over no could do, we ended up
> switchint to a NexGen P100 which has no FPU but worked 100% fine.

I am using a Pentium 90 with Intel Triton board and Linux for about 6
months now. Compiling and leaving it up 24 hrs daily, haven't encountered
major problems so far. If it is a problem with Pentium chip, then the
situation would be more widespread ?

P.S. I don't work for intel ;>

|	Andrew Ng 	-	eng30072@leonis.nus.sg		      |
|	Put first things first and we get second things thrown in;    |
|	put second things first and we lose both first and second     |
|	things.					C.S. Lewis	      |