Re: Hacking the system

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@blaze.cs.jhu.edu)
Date: 04/01/96

> I talked to him but he says he just knows circle really well and knows what
> to kill and where to advance quickly.  I think he is hacking my system some
> how but can not figure it out.  Take a look at this:
>
> syslog.6:Fri Mar 29 20:00:30 :: Azalin un-renting and entering game.
> syslog.6:Fri Mar 29 20:31:10 :: Azalin has re-logged in ... disconnecting
> old socket.
> syslog.6:Fri Mar 29 20:41:00 :: Azalin advanced to level 7
> syslog.6:Fri Mar 29 20:41:00 :: Azalin advanced to level 8
> syslog.6:Fri Mar 29 22:02:00 :: Azalin has re-logged in ... disconnecting
> old socket.
>
> Notice how he advance 2 times in the same second...  Something is going on.
> Please let me in on this.  By the way this is the 2.2 code right "out of the
> box".

Advancing twice in the same second is not unusual - it just means that
he got enough exp from a single kill to advance him from level 6 straight
to level 8.  If you get that much exp at once, Circle logs each level
separately.  Create a test character at level one, group with him, and
kill a very high-level mob... your test char will probably go from level
1 to 4, and you'll see the same message in your logs.

There definitely *are* crazy people out there who do nothing but mud all
day and know the stock CircleMUD areas so well that they can easily level
to immortality within 36 hours.  So his explanation is not unreasonable.

2.20 does have one notable bug that lets you cheat, namely that you can
make infinite money by junking coins if you don't have coins.  That was
fixed ages ago in 3.0 (and the FAQ has a fix for people running 2.20).

> Also I snooped him for a while and found nothing unusaul besides the
> re-logging in.

With 2.20 I think there are some bugs that let you duplicate equipment
under certain circumstances if you log in over yourself, so snoop him next
time he does it and see if he has more eq than when he started.

-je