Re: OS/2 Compiling Help

From: PitLord (pitlord@sunspot.tiac.net)
Date: 04/04/96

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Tel Janin Aellinsar wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, PitLord wrote:
>
> > 	I've gotten CircleMUD compiled fine under Linux, and I've been able to
> > run it...However, I want my BBS users to be able to use CircleMUD, so I
> > tried to compile it under OS/2.
>
> That will be tough.  CircleMUD for OS/2 still uses the internet socket
> system.  You may be able to use telnet 127.0.0.1 -p <port> but I wouldn't
> count on it.

That's what I was planning to do, with doorway acting as a gateway..

> > 	After FTPing everything (nmake, gcc, emx, etc), unzipping,
> > running nmake /i..I'm missing header files in emx. <sigh>.
> > I'm missing sys/socket.h, netinet.h, arap.h, and another header file
> > (which I forget).
>
> Should be sys/socket.h, netinet/in.h, arpa/telnet.h, and maybe some
> others.  Those are the socket (TCP/IP) files.
Hmm..I thought they came with emx. I'm going to be installing TCP/IP tonight
anyway, just thought I could compile it beforehand.

> Don't use nmake.  Get gnumake.zip instead.  Also configure the
> environment variables in config.sys as it tells you to.  I think you
> might have left one undefined.
No, They're just not IN the include directory, gcc can find all the other
include files.

> > 	I thought I got everything I needed -- can anyone who's used
> > CircleMUD under Os/2 give me any suggestions ?
>
> You need to copy makefile.os2 to makefile, conf.h.os2 to conf.h, be
> running on an HPFS partition, have tar/gzip, TCP/IP 2.0 or 3.0 installed,
> and a few UNIX utilities.  In particular, you might want an sh.  bash for
> OS/2 seems to work well, though others have spoken favorably of ms_sh.
> Just do a bash <shellscript> to run a UNIX shell script.
>
> I think you can actually run the configure script, though it probably
> won't work, with the gnu shutils, futils, txtutils, and bash.  I did it
> with apache, at least, and it wanted sed and awk too.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> You may have to write a stdio door for OS/2 which acts as a telnet
> client.  Then you can just run 'ifconfig -net 127.0.0.1 lo' or whatever to
> setup loopback, pop a localhost entry in /tcpip/etc/hosts, and run your
> telnet client from your BBS, which I hope is OS/2 native.  (If it's not,
Yes, it is. I'm not that stupid ;).
> you're in for a hell of a ride.)  And by stdio, I mean the redirectable
> stdin/stdout/stderr instead of a more direct, but faster, screen output.
> I'm not sure how IBM's telnet works.  (Even better, it assumes vt220 and
> works down.  Your BBS users probably go from ANSI, which is
> second-to-last on the list of preferred terminals for telnet, though
> telneto uses only vt220.)

OK, thanks for all your help!

-Eric