Read languages(runes) skill

From: Chris Dodd (cdodd@super.win.or.jp)
Date: 04/26/96

Hi all,

Well, I broke down and decided that I really need to add a read languages
skill to the mud.  I was planning on waiting, but decided I cannot wait
since it just adds too much of a dimension.  Basically, in the world, there
was a race of beings that lived there 15k years ago, and mysteriously vanished
for no known reason.  A number of ruins and artifacts are scattered about.
Also,
these beings had a runic script that they used to write with....it has been
deciphered by a few members of the shek-pvar(mages guild), and well, I want to
let players read it.

So, first of all, the mud is one of those that has been changed to skill-based
with no levels, etc.  Has anyone else out there had any success in adding a read
languages skill?  I was thinking of making the skill maximum based on
intelligence,
as it seemed to make the most sense. I know how to do the skill improvements and
all, since I have added other skills.  But, the question is, how do I handle
people
reading a foreign script?  Is it similar to the speak/understand XLANGUAGE skill
(which I have not done yet, either)?  I also take it I will have to overhaul
a number
of other sections of the mud to make this work, neh?

Anyway, if you have some insight into this, I would greatly appreciate any help.
If you can help me, posting to the list is nice, since it can possibly help
anyone
else who has been pondering this.

Thanks,
 Chris