Re: Linux installation help!

From: Barid Bel Medar (icarus@berkshire.net)
Date: 04/30/96

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996 BUBONIC@CERES.BSUVC.BSU.EDU wrote:

> I am trying to install CircleMUD 3.0 patchlevel 11 onto my newly installed
> Linux system.  However, I have run into a few problems.  I can't get the
> makefile in the /src directory to work.  It seems to be missing some
> header files that Linux should have already installed.  Have any
> of you installed Linux and then attempted to install CircleMUD?  I have
> loaded in disk sets A, AP, D, and N, however, a few header files are
> missing.  I have heard that disk set Q is also necessary.  Is this true?
> Also, I have limited hard drive space, and I don't really have enough
> room to install all of disk set Q.  Do any of you Linux/CircleMUD gurus
> know which -tgz files have those header files in them?  Or if anything
> else is needed to be done to install CircleMUD?

You don't need to install the kernel image disk sets.  However, you *do*
need to install the Linux kernel source disk set.  It includes all the
header files under /usr/include/linux that you'll need for most everything.

Installing the kernel is a very good idea anyway.  You can cut down about
150k of the kernel just by removing support for things you don't need.
And once it's installed, you can just remove everything but the header
files anyway.

> I'm at my wits end, and would appreciate any suggestions anyone could
> give me to get this thing installed.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Jeff Hanks
> 00jshanks@bsuvc.bsu.edu

Barid Bel Medar                               icarus@berkshire.net
Knights of the Cosmos            Shayol Ghul Resort and Health Spa
"I  am  returning  this otherwise good typing paper to you because
someone has printed gibberish all over it and  put  your  name  at
the top." - English Professor, Ohio University