Re: OFF TOPIC: nonsence (was: [ADV.] Malacious Bliss 2)

From: Ole Gjerde (gjerde@plains.nodak.edu)
Date: 06/21/96

On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Imps of MB2 wrote:

> 1) Seems in everyone's sig file (including mine) there is a
> address for a mud. (not that thats's bad)

Everybody has a sig.  Some people have their mud's address in it.  But
that ain't no ad.

> 2) We've all received off topic mail about linus/cores. Though i didn't
> read any of it, many people did and found it useful.

"Since there are so many people killing other people, I'm gonna go kill
some too."  Do you see the fault in your logic?  People might find it
useful, but it's still not the right forum to discuss it.

> 3) You advertise muds on here because it's just not imp's that subscribe.
> The general public of mud...or atleast a good number of them...just
> PLAY... not code. I KNOW this is for ccoders/imps..but not everyone here
> is an imp.

I would guess that 95% of the people here are either imp,
future/wannabe-imp, or code.  I don't really see why other people then
imp's/coders would be on this list.

> 4) I have personally learned great amounts about mud coding from this
> list..that is getting addresses with muds that have what i want..and then
> talking to the imp/coder there and getting tips. If you have the time to
> write a 2 page letter saying why one mud advertisement shouldn't be
> allowed here..then you have the time to sort through the letters you
> don't want to read. Thats why there are flags like: newbie, offtopic, etc
> If you DON"T have time to do that...then, make your own mailing list with
> your own rules....and send yourself your own mail that isn;t "offtopic"

Ad's are a special case.  Ad's are generally considered a big no-no in
ml/newsgroups it doesn't belong in.  If you want to find addresses for
muds, then you look in alt.mud.diku.announce, or check out one of the
many mud lists, including the one at Jeremy's page.  Is that so hard?
I think your logic is way wrong.  You're saying that because other people
posts off-topic posts, then you can too?  IMO ad's are not just a big
no-no, they are huge no-no's.  There are specific forums for those, so
please use 'em.  The same goes to all the other off-topic posts about
linux and what-not.  Try to ask in more appropiate forums first.  Or at
least email someone directly and ask (You should have noticed who have
helped so far with your specific questions).

I've wasted enough bandwidth.

----
Ole Gjerde
Homepage: http://www.winternet.com/~gjerde
Email: gjerde@plains.nodak.edu, gjerde@winternet.com, jander@fix.bbs.no
Studying Computer Science at North Dakota State University
"Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."
                                                  -- Unknown/Nem Schlecht