Re: OFF TOPIC: nonsense (was: [ADV.] Malacious Bliss 2)

From: Ole Gjerde (gjerde@plains.nodak.edu)
Date: 06/22/96

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Mud wrote:

> I am the one who posted that advertisement for my mud.
> And I am baffled as to why you think advertising on the "circle mud mailing list" shouldnt be aloud. I posted this to the ML because I don't get newsgroups, so
> it's a little hard for me to post it there. Also, I didn't think some of you

"Since my family lives so far away, I'm going to kill some other people
instead."  Just because you can't post in the newsgroups, doesn't mean
you are free to post it anywhere else you think it's appropiate.

> would have such a fit over it. If you don't like reading advertisements, then
> why not just delete it. I put the flag [ADV.] for ppl like you. I am an imp,
> but I also mud on other muds. I could care less if you or anyone else advertised

That's not the point.  It's the whole principle.  Do we want this list
to become a ad list for circle muds? I don't think so.

> for your mud on here. In fact, I would check it out. There is also the fact that
> NO where that I have seen does it say you cannot post advertisements.

"The laws doesn't specifically state that I can't kill my mother.  So I
guess I can kill her."  There might not be a specific rule here against
ad's, but if you check out the netequette(sp?) document, I'm pretty sure
you'll find something about posting to appropiate forums.

> linus.missconet.com 4000 (uh oh.. is that an Advertisement!?)

Not as far as I'm concerned.  As long as it's not the main point in the
mail, I don't really care.

ps.  Altough my "examples" are a bit rougher than his statements, I do
     think they show the same thing.
ps2. Also, you might want to limit your message width to 78 chars. :)

----
Ole Gjerde
Homepage: http://www.winternet.com/~gjerde
Email: gjerde@plains.nodak.edu, gjerde@winternet.com, jander@fix.bbs.no
Studying Computer Science at North Dakota State University
"Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."
                                                  -- Unknown/Nem Schlecht