Re: Multiple Attacks

From: Jack Wilson (deejay@cu-online.com)
Date: 06/26/96

Brian Menges wrote:
>  When in combat it will print something like the following:
>
> > You slash the cityguard very hard.
> > You slash the cityguard hard.
> > The cityguard's attack misses you by a mile.
>

> I would like to change it so that the mobiles attack goes in between the two
> attacks.  I.e. a round of combat would look like:
>
> > You slash the cityguard very hard.
> > The cityguard's attack misses you by a mile.
> > You slash the cityguard hard.
>
> I am unsure how to go about doing this however without going in and changing
> the whole combat scheme.  Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the matter?

How's about this:

Instead of integrating the MULTIPLE_ATTACK check into the
combat round, just call the combat round routine (perform_violence)
twice and do a MULTIPLE_ATTACK check on the second go-around.
Anything that doesn't have MULTIPLE_ATTACK's wouldn't get an
attack on the second go-around.

The way to keep track of which call to perform_violence this is
(so you know when to do the MULTIPLE_ATTACK check)?  Try adding
a number argument to perform_violence().

This also lets you do sexy things like first/last strike capabilities
for mobs, or greater than two attacks per round, or different attack
types on different segments of a round.  (bite/claw/claw)

The final word on how this gets implemented, of course, goes to the
actual coders on your MUD.

Jack "trying to keep signal/flame ratio high" Wilson