Re: Re: Auto Reimbursement...

From: Derek L. Karnes (dkarnes@mystech.com)
Date: 10/07/96

> That's a good point - and one I've already accounted for.  I'm not
> too worried about Equipment at this point.  I'm only going to be
> reimbursing things like STR, DEX, EXP, etc.    But you did make me
> think about reimbursing GOLD, and BANK_GOLD.  Those shouldn't be done
> because of what you said.  People could just create all they wanted.
> Thanks for the help.

If you reimb xp, couldn't you go fight and die a billion times, then
reimb your xp after the mob finally died? I guess you could reimb levels
(with the game's initial needed_exp_to_level) but even then you run into
the same problem.. A player could die until he was a bazillion pts to
level, then reimb himself back to the game's initial needed_exp_to_level
number, again negating the bad affects of death.

I've toyed with idea before and don't think that this level of control
can be given to a mortal and be effective AND un-cheatable... The only
(barely) plausable solution i came up with was a god-controlled
auto-reimb (isnt that an oxymoron?)

It would work like this:
Every time the player left the game of his own violation (rent, etc.) It
would save his pfile/rentfile .. 6 copies should do it. (Much like the
syslog does with the autorun script) Then when reimb time came, a god
could pick from the 6 "copies" of his saved file to reimb from.

This way a god can see what the player had, not just guess if they're
lying.

Only problem I see is that a player could borrow an item from a friend
and rent with it, and a god would think he had it since it shows up in
the "copy" of the rentfile.
-D
                                    \ | /
                       --    dkarnes@mystech.com    --