Re: [IDEA] religion

From: Mark Komus (umkomusm@cc.UManitoba.CA)
Date: 01/12/97

I like the idea.  I'd thought of it a while back, but since I'm just
starting I'd figure I'll put in the basics first and write the rest later.

> gods design their temples, put them in hidden away places around the world.
>
> players discover a temple, or multiple temples, and choose a religion to
> follow.
Hmm interesting but why would a god want to hide their temple.  Wouldn't
the gods want more followers so make their temples easily found by people
who would worship them?

> now, its that last step im having trouble with. ideally, this should be
> different for all religions. so a pc joins a particular religion because it
> offers him xxx... any ideas what some of these could be? maybe a highly
> materialistic religion, where worshippers can get more gold from corpses
> than normal? extra exp? maybe some spells? eq? str? that sort of thing...
I was thinking that it might be interesting if some players after
reaching Max level had a chance of becoming the "gods" of the mud
themselves.  They would get certain amount of powers based on how many
followers they had and could use these powers to help intice new folowers
in, help those already in, etc.  The powers could be almost anything; I
was thinking along the lines of sorta low level god powers, minor
creation, loading powers, building powers.  This way also the gods aren't
just faceless names, they're real people that are trying to build their
power and religion up so they have to help their followers to try and get
more etc.

Mark Komus				Mark_Komus@mbnet.mb.ca
2nd Year Computer Science (Honours)	umkomusm@cc.umanitoba.ca
University of Manitoba			http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/~mkomus/