Re: Pfiles

From: Robert Sinland (rsinland@ERSKINE.POLARISTEL.NET)
Date: 08/15/97

Sammy wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Ben Boyle wrote:
>
> > > Asking for opinions on what things are most likly to trash pfiles, the
> > > binary ones. In the past it used to happen to us occasionally when an
> >
> > we had a similar problem recently - the mud would crash everytime we tried
> > to "stat" him.  it was to do with affections - he was blinded, invisible,
> > poisoned, infravision... *shrug*.  have a look in the system logs.
> > unaffect fixed our problem, but i still don't how it happened to begin with.
>
> If that person has access to the pfiles, he could have transferred them to
> another computer and fired up a copy of circle to imm himself and transfer
> them back.  It's a longshot, but the symptoms you describe sounds like
> what happens when you transfer the binary pfiles from one operating system
> to another.
>
> Sam
  Got down to the bottom of it.  The player was giving himself multiline
- coloered poofs.  I had it set in structs.h for 80 chars, so the rest
spilled over into things like level , class, race sex etc.
  For a quick fix I did this...

ACMD(do_poofset)
{
  char **msg;

  switch (subcmd) {
  case SCMD_POOFIN:    msg = &(POOFIN(ch));    break;
  case SCMD_POOFOUT:   msg = &(POOFOUT(ch));   break;
  default:    return;    break;
  }

  skip_spaces(&argument);

  if (*msg)
    free(*msg);

  if (!*argument)
    *msg = "needs a better poof";
  else
    *msg = str_dup(argument);

   if (strlen(*msg) > POOF_LENGTH) {
    sprintf(buf, "Sorry, poofs can't be longer than %d characters.\r\n",
POOF_LENGTH);
    send_to_char(buf, ch);
    *msg = "needs a better poof";

  }