Re: killing same mobs EXP gain limitation

From: d. hall (dhall@APK.NET)
Date: 08/25/97

+// thus on Mon, 25 Aug 1997 14:52:54 -0500, RHS virtually wrote:

RHS> Maybe it's just me, but this coding approach just seems like a kluge
RHS> to fix poor area balancing.  If you dont want chars to kill the same
RHS> mobs all the time make them harder to kill or make better areas.

It works great to prevent power mudders, also it stands to reason the more
often you kill something the less likely you are to gain experience from
it.  If it's a kludge, it's a decent one, cause it penalizes those who just
wish to camp out in the same areas day in/day out.  Don't knock a system
until you're seen it work (pretty effectively) for the last 5 years.

I plan to tak this system and add another twist, it improves the consider
command, much the same way that the Blizzard game Diablo does.  The more
you've killed the fresher it is in your memory the more likely you are to
know exact details of the creature.

Area balancing is such a time-consuming micro-management task for any
implementor, that the more 'bells and whistles' that can be placed within
the server, the easier it is overall.

RHS> Of course I could be wrong...

This RHS guy is pretty popular, I see him everywhere. =)

d.