Re: Oasis - Fatal Problems

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 08/31/97

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Will Shaw wrote:

> Ok...there may have been a thread about this before, so forgive me if I'm
> bringing up something that has been discussed previously.
>
> Here is a sequence of events that occured on my mud recently:
> 1) Bob enters OLC.
> 2) Bob loses his link to the mud while still in OLC.
>
> 3) When Bob reconnects, he has cloned himself...in a sense.  There are two
> Bobs in the room, one of them is still shown as (writing) in OLC.  The

I have a similar problem:
1) Bob enters OLC.
2) Bob drops link.
3) Bob reconnects, and the MUD crashes.

I don't have any corruption of the playerfiles, or problems with
duplicate "Bobs" in the game or anything.

Here is what gdb is telling me:
#0  0x804e7ee in list_char_to_char (list=0x812c7b8, ch=0x812c7b8)
    at act.informative.c:387
387           if (CAN_SEE(ch, i))
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x804e7ee in list_char_to_char (list=0x812c7b8, ch=0x812c7b8)
    at act.informative.c:387
#1  0x804efc9 in look_at_room (ch=0x812c7b8, ignore_brief=0)
    at act.informative.c:518
#2  0x807a9f3 in nanny (d=0x812bea8, arg=0xbffff934 "1")
    at interpreter.c:2196
#3  0x8049e73 in game_loop (mother_desc=3) at comm.c:601
#4  0x8049664 in init_game (port=1066) at comm.c:246
#5  0x80495ee in main (argc=3, argv=0xbffffe28) at comm.c:216
#6  0x804932b in _start ()

The character is getting into the game, and when they re-enter, and are
forced to look_at_room, it crashes on the list_char_to_char. I think that
this is because the character is there, and "(writing)". Of course,
mortal's can't see the immort, but another immort can, so it trashes out
when it tries to show Bob to himself.

The reason that mine crashes, and yours does not could be caused by
different versions of lib.c.

As far as how to fix something like this.... I have one idea:
Set their state to CON_PLAYING when they drop link. I don't know what
that would do to the OLC (if anything) and I don't even know if it's
possible to do that.

I'll go play around with that a bit and see.

Has anyone else tried this, or have any thoughts on this?

John Evans
mailto: evansj@hi-line.net    http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj

I don't suffer from Insanity!  I enjoy every minute of it!