Re: [ Discussion ] [ Long? ] Inflation on the muds...

From: Serapi (roland@INTERPATH.COM)
Date: 08/31/97

David Klasinc wrote:

> Banzai!
>
>  Something else crossed my mind... I have been playing only few muds...
> Two if I'm precise... *giggle* (Now people will go.. whaat! he played only
> twomuds and he want's to run his own... :PPP)
>
> Anywa.. I noticed that inflation was very high on that muds... The reason
> is simple.. too much money in the game... How come? Well again the
> scenario:
>
>   Gizmo has 10 coins and ont he auction there is a sword for 15 coins and
> a dagger for 25 coins... Gizmo is low on cash...
>
>   Gizmo kills baby dragon and collects 3 coins... Gizmo is waiting for the
> repop (We've already established few messages back, that players are
> mostly killing the same mobs). Baby dragon is here again... Gizmo kills it
> and get's another 3 coins... Hey! Gizmo has enought money to buy a
> sword... (Now he's using a toothpick)
>
>   Gizmo goes to the auuction and puts his toothpick on for 10 coins and
> buys a sword for 15... Now Gizmo is stronger and gizmo goes and kills
> Toddler Dragon, Gizmo get's 5 coins. Gizmo is waiting for repop... POP!
> Gizmo kills Toddler Dragon again he get's 5 coins.. POP again 5 coins...
> After a while Gizmo is again ont he uaction he collets his 10 coins from
> toothpick and buys a dagger for 25. He puts sword on auction for 25 coins.
> (Note the higher price.. *G*)

>  After few months gizmo buys one sword on auction for 1000 coins.. and so
> on... The problem is that players have more and more cash, no matter the
> prices in the shops, and other things on muds... Unlimited supply of cash
> is around... Mobs... How to balance this? Or make it a bit less hmm
> 'effective'?
>
>  High level players tend to hoard the cash, buying all good equipment,
> creating new charactes , giving them that good eq (If it's allowed or
> not..  Face it.. You can't notice if Gizmo gives  a tiny metal sword to
> one of his friends and that guys gives it to another friend and to another
> and so on and so on... At the end Grumpy get's the sword and Grumpy is one
> of the Gizmos characters....
>
>  How to prevent things like this? Or at least ease them a bit... One way
> is to prevent people having more than one character in the game. No matter
> what... This also adds to the role playing. Add something like email
> registration. Personally I think that mud which would do something like
> that, I doubt I will play it, but then again I was playing BattleTech like
> crazy and it required email registration befor even entering the game. I
> had something different in my mind. Players would be allowed to have
> unregistered characters, but only to the certain level. When players get
> powerful the would need registration... Hm not puwerful... When they reach
> certain level. With this you give people to try the mud and if they'll
> like it they will register. (Ok, I won't go here in the discussion about
> different emails and stuff...)

> [...]

You neglected to mention rent!  Now perhaps this is because, and it's the
general consensus I get on most MUDs... rent sucks?  However, I've found
that most MUDs who use rent have a decently balanced economy.  And I've
also found that MUDs who do not use rent, are a little less realistic.  Rent
doesn't have to be at the receptionist, perhaps you could sell tents or have
inns or cabins in the woods, or a resort hotel in a desert Oasis (cackle!).

And also, there is the option of coming up with an economical template before
you get too heavy into building (or modifying).  I'm currently contemplating
this with my own MUD.

With the taxing thing, a cool MOBprog comes to mind, one using the bribe_prog...
Imagine Bubba, the burly tax collector, roaming the MUD once a month collecting
taxes from it's citizens, or ruthlessly slaughtering them, perhaps even taking
them to a jail (one which, with a little intuition, might be escapable).  Just
my 2¢.

-Serapi