From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 09/10/97

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Stephen Arnold wrote:

> > (btw, a spelling correction: one staff, two staves).
>         Not so, This is taken from the AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide 3rd
> Edition page 207:
>         Stave: Staves are about 5-6 feet long and as thick as a young
> sapling - About an inch and half at the base, tapering to an inch at the
> top. [....]
>         Staves, like wands and rods, are powered by charges.
>         They are not the same as a staff.

I think I'll throw out my Webster's Dictionary and use the AD&D manuals to
check my spelling then :P


I've been working on a new socket output buffering system where
descriptors receive pointers to strings rather than having their own
copies.  The descriptor output is actually a linked list of structs which
hold a pointer to a plain text copy of a string, and another pointer to an
ANSI colorized version of the same string.  The benefits in this are a lot
less strcpy's and string processing when the same string is sent to more
than one player.  I've got some other plans for it like scrollback
buffering and buffering of output while the player is linkless or writing.

One of the problems with the details I'm having is that I figure I'll need
a lot of those buffer structures.  Right now I've got a system similar to
George's string buffer patch, where an output buffer struct is taken as
needed from a pool of preallocated buffers.  Using malloc to create
individual buffers on the fly is probably going to eat up a bunch of cpu,
so I'm trying to figure out a way to allocate blocks of them.  Actually,
allocating many is easy, but free'ing them when usage goes down isn't as
trivial because I don't keep them in order.

Anyway, I've got the base setup working.  It just doesn't ever free the
buffers so once I hit the 'worst case', I'm stuck with that many buffers.


     | Ensure that you have read the CircleMUD Mailing List FAQ:  |
     | |

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : 12/08/00 PST