Realism (was Re: Maximum weight)

From: Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer (doomer@BAYOU.COM)
Date: 09/25/97

At 12:50 AM 9/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, David Klasinc wrote:
>
>>  Did anyone tried to hold 60 items in their hands and fight at the same
>> time?!!? I find it a little bit stupid.. :))
>
> Yes.. i find it to be HELLA STUPID.. why dont people try to make a mud
>realistic.. or have some kind of futuristic out look that might someday

  if i wanted my mud to be 100% realistic, i would have my characters
get jobs, possibly have em screw it up, get fired, and live
as a bum in the streets of New York for the rest of their life begging
for money.
  That's the point behind a hack-n-slash type mud.  Realism is not
usually that big of a deal.  I always thought INVENTORY was considred
a little bag that you ALWAYS carry, and can't lose.  That's why it always
seemed realistic.  Ever hear of IMAGINATION?

>become real..  Even if we were in the ear 3000.. people (ie humans) would
>not have like 60 arms to hold 60 fucken things.. and yet another arm
>to wield the sword..
>
>  If i wanted to be stipid.. i would create a char with 60 dicks and have
>him dick-slap you in the face that many times.

  What IS your problem?  Too much stress? Stop playing the
EXTREMELY relistic muds from now on, and you may get a chance to
relax.  A Mud (in MY mind) has always been a place to GET AWAY
from REALISM, where you ACTUALLY read the room descriptions, and use
your IMAGINATION (there's that word again) to picture what it would
be like.  The less stress the better, and if I am forced to waste
my time to  Sheath sword, get rock, put rock bag, unsheath sword, wield sword
then there really is no point to me playing that mud, now is there?

>  Now thats stupid.

  Realistic muds aren't stupid, IMO.  I don't MIND having them, but
there's a FINE LINE between  Fake Realism and EXTREME Realism.
Not to be mean or anything, but if someone wants to spend a large
amount of their time making their mud EVEN MORE realistic to the point
where you no longer have an inventory, more power to the moron.
  Realism, i believe, should be in the Areas that the builders make.
I mean, WHERE ELSE but in a Mud could you kill someone and go back and do
it again, and have people cheer you on. (Mud-wise, not RL please)
  Anyway, that's my  $((1 << 1)/100)  worth.

Akuma the Raging Coder

  | "The poets talk about love, but what I talk about is DOOM, |
  |      because in the end, DOOM is all that counts." -       |
  |   Alex Machine/George Stark/Stephen King, The Dark Half    |
  |        "Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE, Just IMPROBABLE"            |
  |   "Easier Said Than Done, But Better Done Than Said..."    |