Re: Swimming, falling, flying and drowning...

From: David Klasinc (bigwhale@CAPYBARA.SK-PTTSC.LJ.EDUS.SI)
Date: 10/16/97

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Edward Glamkowski wrote:

> You have a variety of solutions.  I'd leave it with no
> flying underwater, but do away with no flying in the rain.
> * Perhaps fly can only be cast on self.

Still too powerful, because every sea, every river, every ocean would
become crossable w.o any difficulties. Also my ferries would become
obsolete, I have a transport system, which players can use to cross the
oceans and seas and go to the other islands (whole world is just a bunch
of islands). So swimming is a mv hog and there is no way that you could
swim across the oceans and when I add random currents in the oceans, then
it will be practically impossible :)

> * Or give fly a high mana cost and/or short duration.
With speedwalking it doesn't matter, you can ran thru whole mud in less
than a tick.. :) So, this is not a good solution also.. :) I also renamed
fly into levitate, because imho, when you cast fly you're not flying like
a bird, you're just hovering few inches above the ground, so you don't
have to move your legs to move around, you are drifting... But this is
just how I see things.. :)

> * Make it non-cumulative in duration.
I don't have ANY spells accumulative :)

> * Make it a higher level spell.
The same as with mana cost.. :)

> * Have it require some obscure or hard to get material
> component (e.g., "breath of the west wind").
This might be a good idea :)