Re: [INFO] Patches, FTP, and flying elephants.

From: Franco Gasperino (awe@CET.COM)
Date: 10/30/97

----------
> From: Cris Jacobin <jacobin@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
> To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca
> Subject: Re:  [INFO] Patches, FTP, and flying elephants.
> Date: Thursday, October 30, 1997 1:39 PM
>
>         Agreed.
>
>         However, having few builders, creation moves slowly.  It would be
> quite hard to have attracted my current lot of alpha testers to my
> under-development mud if it only had 50 rooms and 6-7 npc's.  [AD] "10
new
> rooms and another npc comming next week!"
>
>         I'm therefore forced to accept reality and for now use the areas
> that came with the distribution, and they're in bad shape.  It's a
> necessary evil for my builders to allocate resources to fix/balance
things
> as they come up.

  Pretty logical thinking there actually. However with this line of
thinking
everything will be easier in the short run, and turn into a real nightmare
in
the long run. Depends on how fast you want your mud open..

>         We thought about this long and hard, and decided the opposite
that
> you have.  Code ended up with the higher priority.

  There needs to be a balance. Ive seen some CircleMUDs with stock
code but with a well balanced, large world, that have been much more
enjoyable to play than muds with stock zones and a great code base.
As long as the players have plenty of room to breathe, explore, and
don't get tired of the same old zones, then I think that you have a winning
mud, regardless of core code changes.

>         As for your opinion that muds using the stock areas, should have
> their imp's decapitated...Do you really think Circle would be as a
popular
> a codebase if it came only with Migaard for, 'testing and examples'?

  No, it wouldn't be, but that specific example is not saying anything good
for circle except that people who have no patience, desire, and willpower
can get a fully functional mud up in 5 minutes. And this is not
Circle-specific.
I think that testing and example zones might seperate the "men from the
boys" in the area of "now who _really_ wants to make this happen".
  It's pretty evident when people will spend 6 days looking for a utility
patch their mud with an upgrade when the patch itself is only 40 lines.