Re: [Off-topic] Just a follow-up to the swapping thing...

From: Ryan Gasper or Steven Arnold (dalamar@CYBERCOM.NET)
Date: 11/05/97

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> Not terribly difficult.  I would probably go a lot further, and
> redesign the combat system before I did trivial things like that,
> though.  I like doing the big, bad stuff first. :)

        Hmm, since we're talking theoretically, lets go house. Rip out the
entire combat system, implement a system that uses Dex, Str, Weight of
Weapon, and class to figure out a speed factor. A mob would do the same.
So instead of two people beating each other simultaneously all the time,
If you had an awesome speed factor, you could attack 2 times before a mob
attacked you, or vice versa. Small less damage weapons compared to hard
hitting huge swords would give users a choice, speed or damage.
        This was also be ideal for spells. Bigger spells would have longer
casting time, so you would sit there for X amount of said mobs attacks
trying to get your spell casted.

> I wouldn't object to providing a script language, or
  ^-- you mean Bob
> perhaps a (primordial) logic engine for NPCs (e.g., if it is snowing,
> put on some clothes; if I'm smart and aggressive, and the person in
> front of me is 20' tall and carrying an oversized Claymore; and I'm
> 2'4" and armed with a slingshot, I'll be smart enough to not get
> myself killed).

        That would be cool. A new scripting language for mobs would be
neat, considering that mobprogs, although definitely still very useful,
could use a tuneup. Or even bobs Logic Engine above, that to would be
neat.

> I was thinking about removing all the stock areas, changing the
> database format (maybe bothering to write a converter :P), and
> including a little Limbo-like area in the stock code.  But I don't
> know if that really has the desire affect of making people do
> something creative with their MUD.  I think it'd either make people
> not use BobMUD or force them to bother converting the stock areas.
> Your thoughts (on the matter)?

        Hmm. I guess it would depend exactly what was added to Bob's
derivative. If it was some pretty crazy stuff, I bet a lot of people
wouldn't mind building from the ground up. On the other hand, there
definitely is something about the legacy of Midgaard.

                                                Ryan