Re: [OFFTOPIC:Learning C] (was: adding new levels)

From: StormeRider (silk@ICI.NET)
Date: 11/20/97

At 10:16 AM 11/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>While some of the people in the list may have been harsh with you, their
>general message was quite true: you really need to get a C book and read
>it.
>
>Your question, perhaps unintentionally, showed a marked lack of
>understanding of / experience in the C language; not because you
>didn't understand the exact error in GCC, but because a great
>many people who are conversant in the language would have picked up
>on the problem fairly quickly.
>
>If you're a new implementor on a MUD, it's _essential_, if you don't
>want to screw everything up, to have at least a basic knowledge of C.
>People will tell you time and again that it's _not_ a good idea to
>use MUD source as a learning platform for C.

I've heard it time and time again and I just want to state that that is the
way that I did learn. There is a little clause that should be added on to
that statement: "unless thou art a coder of other languages and doth have
the experience to adventure forth in the realm of multi-platform coding
whereby which thou mayest utilize thine knowledge towards a new goal."

StormeRider                  --- http://www.windsofstorm.net/wos/
silk@ici.net                 --- telnet://cmoo.com:4004