Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Damn connector!

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 03/17/98

> > I have a little problem. I have someone who tries to connect over and over
> > again. Spamming our log with "Losing descriptor without char." messages. I
> > tried banning, but it only changed the message *doh*.

        You do realize that the ip address that comes up is usually not
the actual ip, and is only a partially resolved address?  That banning or
filtering packets from such an ip is totally useless?  If you want to get
rid of it, just find the section of code which reports the error, use
gethostbyaddr() and if it returns an incorrect value, simply discard the
error. Otherwise, display the error, as it is an actual host. You might
want to even fork off a discrete (non-blocking at least) process to doo
all the lookups.  This has been done I believe and is also located at the
circemud ftp site.

        Of course, if it's such a big problem, just remove it from your
code all together.

                                        PjD