Re: Guilds vs. Classes

From: Tony Robbins (tonyr@NWPACLINK.COM)
Date: 03/25/98

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Allan Rolf Gortemaker wrote:

> Not a bad idea except for the fact that eventually you will have characters
> walking around that can cast all cleric/mage spells and use all thief/warrior
> skills and anything else if you have more classes.  When was the last time you
> saw a top level Warrior/Thief/Mage/Cleric.  Talk about multiclass.
> You would have to add some other code to prevent this.  Or something such as if
> the players class is currently a warrior, then he would slowly lose his mage,
> cleric spells and thief skills.
>
> Just a thought
>
> Allan Gortemaker

There's an impossibility of being a top level mage and cleric and warrior.
They continue at their current level, so it's best to pick a class and
stick with it, or you'll never reach the top level spells and skills.

For example
1 cleric lv. 1
2 cleric lv. 2
3 --------> thief lv. 1
4           thief lv. 2

They only get the cleric skills up to the level at which they leave the
guild.  So actually, on a 50 level MUD, somebody who switches classes at
level 25 will only be able to get 25 levels of the first class, and 25
levels of the second.

Anyway, after my little rebuttal, I got a question.  How would I make it
so that when you join a guild, you join the guild of that which you are
in?  The only thing I can think of is a room flag

if (ROOM_FLAGGED(ROOM_GUILD_CLERIC))
  yadda yadda yadda
else if ...

?