Re: ascii pfiles v2.0

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 03/25/98

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Patrick J. Dughi wrote:

>         Knee jerk reaction says to keep everything seperate.  Loading all
> info in every case could get dangerously intensive.  I can see it now,
> someone making their client fail password logins on purpose, some char
> with like 300-400 items, mail, everything else... Bleh.

True.  Even without the mail and objects, this could be very annoying if
not harmful.  Whether I go with one file or many, I may add capabilities
to deal with password lookups without loading the whole pfile.  Putting
passwords and bad attempts in the player_index is a possible solution.

> Plus, I'd hate to screw up every player file if I did something wrong with
> mail.

I htink you're misunderstanding what I mean by one file.  I'm not going to
use a single pfile to hold every player.  Each player will have a seperate
pfile.  What I'm considering is putting all player information in their
pfile, as opposed to making sperate mail and rent files, etc.

> Are there any distinct advantages to having it all in a single file?

Fewer files/inodes.  It may not be a big deal for most people, but on a
big mud it may mean a signifigant difference in disk space.  Some people
also feel it's easier to edit a player when you don't have to skip around
the directory tree loading up multiple files.

Sam